Are you looking for something unique to do on weekends? Does the idea of walking through a cemetery at night with a kerosene lantern sound like fun?
Sleepy Hollow Cemetery is hiring part-time seasonal tour guides.
If you love history and are good with people, you might be just the person we are looking for!
Our popular historic walking tours provide a great introduction to some of the fascinating people buried here – Washington Irving, Andrew Carnegie, Samuel Gompers and William Rockefeller among many others. Tours are offered primarily on weekends April through November, and are one or two hours long.
Our tour guides are very enthusiastic and love bringing history to life for our visitors. As an active cemetery that was founded in 1849, we are all about respect for those buried here and their families, and focus on preserving the beauty of the grounds for years to come.
To fit in with our team, you must be:
- an excellent public speaker able to deal with people of all ages,
- able to turn educational subject matter into an engaging story for our visitors,
- not mind getting dirty or wet – we light kerosene lanterns for our evening tours, and tour rain or shine,
- be in good physical condition - the grounds are hilly and we are on our feet for hours at a time,
- work weekend days and evenings – especially in October,
- be over age 18.
In return, you’ll become part of the close-knit group of amazing people who work here, and enjoy the knowledge that your efforts directly benefit the long-term preservation of this historic place.
The pay rate is $18.00 per hour, plus visitors often tip their guide in cash. Please note that October availability is a must; that is our busiest month of the year. This is not just a summer job.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with Tour Guide Position in the subject line.
Thank you very much for your interest in Sleepy Hollow Cemetery!